Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pandan Leaves at Its Finest

We went to the province over the weekend to spend some time with our other relatives. I saw my mom carrying around this small “bayong” (a fashionable alternative to plastic shopping bags).


She told me it was the province’s livelihood. They make different designs of “bayong,” be it small or big as long as it is made from dried pandan leaves.


I strolled around the neighborhood and saw one house which has been converted into a mini shop. I was amazed by the products they’re selling. I wasn’t aware that aside from “bayong,” they can make animal figures, containers and even clothes!


I was impressed by how they made a “Barong Tagalog” (a man's upper garment, usually an embroidered formal wear).


When I went to the town’s church, I noticed the gown wore by the Virgin Mary statue. It was made from dried pandan leaves and my mom’s friend made it. It was intricately designed and full of colors. Maybe someday they can make a pair of shoes or boots perhaps? Hehehe!

No comments: