Saturday, May 9, 2009

Costume Roleplay in May 2009

My mom and I went to SM North EDSA to meet with my two other siblings for dinner. While strolling along the mall, I saw a bunch of teenagers dressed in “Naruto” outfits. I hurriedly approached them and asked the reason behind their costumes. They said there’s an ongoing costume roleplay “Cosplay” at the Cyberzone.


A fan dresses up with gears or as a specific character, supporting their favorite characters in books, comics, games, movies, shows, etc. and usually joining a large group. Cosplay participants ("cosplayers") may re-enact scenes or invent behavior inspired by their chosen characters.

As soon as I entered the newly renovated Annex building, a hoard of kids dressed up in fancy costumes run around vigorously. I got more excited as I go up the escalator, wondering who else could be there. When I reached the events hall, my face suddenly lit up. There’s a feeling of belongingness, not that I dress up in Cosplays in the past, but because I know I’m in a place where “my” like-minded people gathers. I suddenly reminisced the past when I’m still additively playing this game called Ragnarok Online. Me and my Malabon-friends would meet up and attend these so-called Cosplay events and we would have tons of laughter and so much fun! But today, I’m alone, nonetheless, I’m still so excited. Cosplay has been definitely a fun event for me. The last time I attended such event was like 5 years ago. This time, Cosplay has reached a higher level. The props now are more high-tech and of course, new characters were added. I took pictures of some of the characters I personally know.

Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)

I really love Kakashi and he’s one of my favorite “Naruto” anime characters. When I saw one in a Kakashi costume, I excitedly took a picture with him. In fairness, this guy cosplayer looked really cute too!


Byakuya Kuchiki (Bleach)

Another cute guy was dressed in a Byakuya’s (Captain of the Sixth Division) “Bleach” anime outfit. I believe his costume fits him well. He really looked like a Captain, not to mention his chinito eyes, a common anime drawing style.


InuYasha (InuYasha)

I also saw InuYasha (half-demon) and Kagome Higurashi (human) of the “InuYasha” anime. As far as anime love story is concerned, this must be one of my favorites.


I was really amazed with these robots! They were two of the best costumes in the said event.

Megatron (Transformers)

They were so huge, Megatron can’t fit into my camera! Fortunately I was able to take a full body shot of Optimus Prime. I guess they were made of rubber and paper mache.


Optimus Prime (Transformers)

Their costumes were so heavy, two people helped them put everything together. They also walked slowly and they obviously seldom move. I couldn’t imagine how hot it was inside that costume?!


Both young and adults enjoyed this memorable event and it’s a very great time to share with friends. Cosplayers who go in a pair or group get more attention.


Large groups are usually asked to pose for photos and never cease to make people smile. I admire these cosplayers because they were able to have fun and at the same time, have memorable laughter with their friends. I hope one day I can still give Cosplay a chance.

No comments: